Roasted Eggplant Curry
*Adapted from Tasty.co
3 medium eggplants
¼ cup olive oil
sea salt, to taste
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
¼ cup coconut oil
½ medium white onion, chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ginger, peeled and minced
3 roma tomatoes, Ripe, Diced, Medium size
15 oz coconut milk
½ cup water
cooked rice, for serving
fresh cilantro, chopped, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- Cube the eggplants. Transfer to a baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through, until golden brown.
- In a large saucepan, heat the coconut oil over high. Add the onions, stir for 1 minute, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, cardamom, and smoked paprika. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the ground coriander, ½ teaspoon of black pepper, turmeric, garlic, and ginger. Cook for a few minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, coconut milk, water, and the roasted eggplant.
- Bring the curry to a simmer, then reduce to low heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. The sauce should reduce and thicken slightly.
- Serve the curry warm over rice, topped with chopped cilantro.